Clarence Bicknell (1842-1918) was a man of letters, an artist, author, traveller, botanist, archaeologist, pastor, humanist and Esperantist. Born in Herne Hill near London, Clarence was the 13th child of Elhanan Bicknell, whale oil magnate and art patron. After studying at Cambridge University he was an Anglican priest for 15 years, then from 1879 lived in Bordighera on the Italian coast between Menton and Genoa; he died at his summer home nearby in Casterino in the high mountains of the Franco-Italian border on 17th July 1918.
Welcome to www.clarencebicknell.com, the web site launched in July 2013 as a commemoration of Clarence's life and work, and as home to the Clarence Bicknell Association. Outside Bordighera, Clarence might be the forgotten genius of 19th century science, arts and crafts. Our activities aim to put that right, i.e. make him known to a wider public across France, Italy, the UK and worldwide.
Give now. The 2018 Clarence Bicknell Centenary Fund, in cooperation with the International Institute of Ligurian Studies is now open for donations. If you would like to give now then click on the donate button below or go to the page on this site which has more details. Please also inform any friends who you think might like to donate.
The Marvels of Clarence Bicknell - the film. The 18 minute documentary biopic of Clarence Bicknell, in the evocative visual style of French director Rémy Masséglia, was released at selective screenings in September/October 2016 (see the list on this site at >Association > Events or here). Watch the film in HD 1080 here now by clicking on the film box, left or the Vimeo link below. Use a big computer screen or smart TV and make sure the audio is turned up...
The French, Italian and the Esperanto versions are similarly available on www.vimeo.com/clarencebicknell. You can find out more about the film on the FAQ sheet, in English here, version en français, in our newsletter, in the text of the screenplay of the film and in the story of the making of the film.
The Centenary exhibition and events calendar is presently as follows:
• Imperia, Italy, 25-27 May 2018, Italian Esperanto Association featuring Clarence Bicknell at the Imperia Book Fair.
• Cambridge University, Fitzwilliam Museum, botanical art exhibition Floral Fantasies, 5 June- 9 September 2018
• Cambridge University, Fitzwilliam Museum, 11h30 on Wednesday 20th June 2018, presentation of MARVELS - The Life of Clarence Bicknell, by Valerie Lester, in the Courtyard next to the cafe and boutique.
• Cambridge University, Fitzwilliam Museum, 13h15-14h00 on Wednesday 20th June 2018, lunchtime projection of the 18-minute film The Marvels of Clarence Bicknell, and talk by Graham Avery (Oxford University) and Marcus Bicknell on Clarence's Botanical Art.
• Cambridge University, Trinity College Wren Library, small display about Clarence Bicknell who studied at Trinity, 5 June- 9 September 2018
• Seattle, USA, July 2018, screening of our film in Esperanto La Mirindaĵoj de Clarence Bicknell at the binational Esperanto Congress (US/Canada).
• Oxford University, film and a seminar at Oxford University, St Margaret's Institute http://www.smi-oxford.org.uk on Tuesday 3rd July 2018
• Bordighera, Museo Bicknell, exhibition of Clarence Bicknell materials recently acquired, organised by the IISL, 19 July to late November 2018
• Bordighera, Museo Bicknell, Settimana Bicknelliana organised by the IISL, July 2018, details here
• Tende, Musée des Merveilles (July-September 2018) details here
• Monaco, Jardin Exotique & Musée d’Anthropologie (September-November 2018) to be confirmed
• Ventimiglia, Museo Rossi, two exhibitions a) contemporary artists inspired by the bicknellian path and b) the publication of a guide book on the naturalistic routes and rock engravings of the Valle delle Meraviglie. Organised by the IISL, summer 2018, details here
• Nice, Exposition sur la thématique "Botanistes et Alpinistes dans les Alpes-Maritimes entre les deux siècles" organisé par la Ville de Nice avec la participation des Amis du Muséum d'Histoire naturelle de Nice, Le Muséum d'Histoire naturelle de Nice, La Grande Bibliothèque "Louis Nucera" (BMVR), La Bibliothèque de Cessole, Le Club Alpin Français et l’Association Clarence Bicknell (octobre 2018)
• Genoa, Palazzo Reale (autumn 2018, to be confirmed)
Download a complete list of 2018 events in MS Excel format here
Interviews with Marcus Bicknell and Clarence's biographer Valerie Lester on Riviera TV, March 2017; click on the following link:
This website provides
- information for researchers and a place to share the results of research,
- more on Clarence and his talents for those discovering him,
- details of the Clarence Bicknell Association and how to join, and
updated 13 May 2018 MB