Clarence Bicknell (1842-1918) was a man of letters, an artist, author, traveller, botanist, archaeologist, pastor, humanist and Esperantist. Born in London, Clarence was the 13th child of Elhanan Bicknell, whale oil magnate and art patron; after studying at Cambridge University he became an Anglican priest, and from 1879 lived in Bordighera on the Italian coast between Menton and Genoa; he died at his summer home nearby in Casterino in the high mountains of the Franco-Italian border on 17th July 1918.
Welcome to www.clarencebicknell.com, the web site launched in July 2013 as a commemoration of Clarence's life and work, and as home to the Clarence Bicknell Association. Outside Bordighera, Clarence might be the forgotten genius of 19th century science, arts and crafts. Our activities aim to put that right, i.e. make him known to a wider public across France, Italy, the UK and worldwide.
THE MARVELS OF CLARENCE BICKNELL - the film. The 18 minute documentary biopic of Clarence Bicknell, in the evocative visual style of French director Rémy Masséglia, was released at selective screenings in September/October 2016 (list below). Watch the film in HD 1080 here now by clicking on this link. Use a big computer screen or smart TV and make sure the audio is turned up...
The French, Italian and,shortly. the Esperanto versions are similarly available on www.vimeo.com/clarencebicknell. You can find out more about the film on the FAQ sheet, in English here, version en français, in our newsletter, in the text of the screenplay of the film and in the story of the making of the film.
- Thursday 29th September 2016 at 17h at the Museo Civico di Storia Naturale di Genova (Natural History Museum, Genoa), Italy, in Italian (World Premiere)
- Friday 30th September at 17h at the Musée des Merveilles, Tende, France - version in French (France premiere) - sponsored by Conseil Régional Provence Alpes Côtes d'Azur. Bookings: Facebook event at https://www.facebook.com/events/1797936133777311/
- Saturday 1st October at 16h at the Museo Bicknell, Bordighera, Italy - version in Italian sponsored by the Istituto Internazionale di Studi Liguri. Additional screenings to accommodate demand. Bookings: Facebook event at https://www.facebook.com/events/853414811427267/
- Saturday 1st October at 17h30 at the Museo Bicknell, Bordighera, Italy - version in English (English version world premiere) sponsored by the Istituto Internazionale di Studi Liguri and by the Clarence Bicknell Museum Group. Additional screenings to accommodate demand. Bookings: www.facebook.com/events/520692024796575
- Sunday 2nd October at the Aca d'breil in Breil-sur-Roya, France (Rémy Masséglia's home town, 20km south of Tende and 33km northeast of Bordighera, 40 km north of Menton) - version in French. Bookings: www.facebook.com/events/344661202545475/
- Monday 24th October at Montpellier Université, Science de la Terre - Les Lundis Verts. Details to follow.
Order merchandising themed to the film by downloading the order form.
This website provides
- information for researchers and a place to share the results of research,
- more on Clarence and his talents for those discovering him,
- details of the Clarence Bicknell Association and how to join, and